Local Agriculture News in Northeastern Massachusetts
Massachusetts Agriculture Facts
- Massachusetts is 2nd in New England for direct sales of farm products to consumers. At $42M in direct sales, Massachusetts farmers were responsible for 40 percent of New England's total.
- Massachusetts ranks 9th nationally in total value of direct sales, following states such as California, New York, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Ohio, and Washington.
- More than 80% of Massachusetts farms are family-owned. Over 95% fit the category of "small farms", sales below $250,000.
- Massachusetts ranks 1st in the U.S. for farmland value at $12,202 per acre.
- Female farm operators account for 29% of the farm operators in MA, up from 21% in 2002.
- Massachusetts increased number of organic farms from 129 in 2002 to 295 in 2007, and organic sales from $7.8M in sales in 2002 to $17.5M in 2007.
Sources: New England Agricultural Statistics 2007 and U.S. Census of Agriculture 2007.
Massachusetts Agriculture Tourism Map
The Massachusetts Agriculture Tourism Map will help you and your family plan a trip to a farm destination as well as the opportunity to visit a state park or other state recreational facility. The map offers brief descriptions about each farm to help guide the way to your next agricultural adventure!
Northeast Harvest Monthly Newsletter
Sign up for our monthly newsletter containing information for the farmer as well as the consumer looking to buy fresh, local produce from farms in northeastern Massachusetts.