Get FRESH at the Farmers' Market!
Whether you live in a city or rural township, a farmers' market is easy to find today. Not so not too long ago! Back in 1977, there were only 7 farmers markets in the entire state. Today there are hundreds and 55 of them are in the NortheastHarvest region.
From spring until late fall, you can find local growers set up with their canopies and colorful displays of just-harvested fruits and vegetables in town squares, parks and other public spaces. You'll also find an array of other farm products, including baked goods, jams and jellies, maple products, honey, farmstead cheeses, flowers, turkey products, eggs and more! The festive atmosphere, community spirit and fresh foods will certainly please all your senses.
Did You Know:
- A good diet includes at least five fruits and vegetables every day.
- Fruits and vegetables are good sources of vitamin A, beta-carotene, vitamin C and fiber.
- Vitamin A and beta-carotene are needed for fetal and infant growth.
- Vitamin C builds healthy bones, teeth, and skin and helps to heal wounds and burns.
- Eating fruits and vegetables may reduce your risk for cancer.
- Fruits and vegetables are naturally low in fat, sodium and cholesterol.
- Fruits and vegetables are fast, easy and a good value.
- Fiber is found in the skin and seeds of fruits and vegetables. A good diet includes fiber.
Farmers' Market Sources of:
Vitamin A & Beta-Carotene